Friday, December 11, 2009

Frozen Pipes

Yesterday, I woke up early because I needed to go to the bathroom and was extremely thirsty. As I stumbled in to my restroom, eyes half shut, I sat down and started to go (sorry for the image) and reached to fill up a cup of water at the same time, I am a great multi-tasker, what can I say! As I turned on my faucet, no water came out. None, zilch, zero, not a drop!! Since I am mostly still asleep this didn't seem to alarm that much, so I finished doing my business, and crawled back to my bed.
Later, when I woke up for good, I went back to the bathroom to get a drink of water. When I turned it on, again, nothing came out again! I ran downstairs and tried the other bathroom and the kitchen faucet, nothing! I couldn't believe it, somehow our pipes had frozen over, maybe the -20degree weather had something to do with it?!?
After talking to the landlord a couple of times, we finally got a plumber/electirian man over to our house. When he came in he started looking around and went upstairs to check my bathroom faucet. As he started up the stairs, I remembered I had not been able to put any of my laundry away. Of course, the last load I had washed had a lot of my undies in it. So right by the bathroom is my yellow, grey, pink, red, and an assortment of undies sprawled all over the floor, along with some shirts and socks. I was mortified. Luckily, he had to run back to his truck to get a machine, so I ran upstairs, and instead of putting all of the clothes in my room like a smart person, I put my large coat and a sweatshirt over it and ran back downstairs, trying to act like nothing had happened!
Later on, he informed us that he had to leave, but that he would be back because it was going to take some time to get the pipes unfrozen because the floor below us had also frozen. Most likely, it was going to be another three to four hours before we had any water.
Of course, at this time my bodily functions where definitely in need of an outlet. I decided the best option would be for me to walk to my lab final early and just use a restroom in the building. I thought about asking a neighbor, but I didn't want to stink up any one's house, if you know what I mean. After I got all my cold gear on and got out the door, I thought I was going to have stop at a local business to relieve myself. Luckily, I made it to the building on time! Hopefully, we do not have anymore frozen pipes this winter because it will not be good on my body!

1 comment:

Miranda's Minutes said...

That is the most horrifying thing I have ever heard of. I mean, I guess I knew that pipes do sometimes freeze, but I never really thought about it! Well, u've got to say-college is good for so many different experiences.